Back in the fall I did some work on getting hacklab.to‘s 3d-printer to print mathematical objects created in sage. Unfortunately, shortly after I got it to work and printed a test sphere, the 3d printer broke. Thus began a long succession of the makerbot — nicknamed the break-r-bot — being fixed and broken… spending most of its time broken.
But recently it was fixed and I decided to dig out my old code and get to work on it.
(In the interim, someone else ran with it and did some cool work. It’s really neat to see code I wrote get used by someone!)
In any case, here are some initial results:
An implicit plot of :
Notice that the bottom was messed up because the overhand was too great, but the top turned out fine.
An implicit plot of the 3-torus (see previous post) :
A plot of the real component of the square function (bounded within ; print stopped prematurely when the makerbot crashed).
In conclusion, there is some pretty neat stuff to be done with printing 3d math. I should be able to print some more cool stuff this coming week!