There have always been a number of feature missing from openSCAD that frustrated me. So, on Friday, I pulled the source code from it and started hacking on it.
I was pleasantly surprised to discover that most of the openSCAD source code is well written and easy to modify. It helped that I had worked in C++ with the QT libraries before.
The most visible change I’ve made is demonstrated in the above screen shot: syntax highlighting.
I’ve also added a number of language extensions:
- Dot/Cross Product (* and %)
- length function for lengths of vectors and strings
- accessing characters in a string via 
Then there are some things I’ve been thinking of doing:
- includes using relative paths
- echo not prepending with “ECHO: “
- concatenate strings/vectors with a “++” operator UPDATE: Implemented.
- describe vectors in circular/spherical coordinates. Something like magnitude$theta$phi?
In any case, I’m curious as to what other people would like to change in openSCAD. Your thoughts?
(My changes are not merged into the main branch of openSCAD. You can try them by building my branch, which you can get from github.)